I'm just here for a cleaning.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

The trick is to keep breathing.

This has been a crazy week. Tuesday I got home from work and I felt like I might be getting a urinary tract infection... I'm all too familiar with that annoying feeling that you have to pee all the time. It was bearable though so I decided to go to the dr. Wednesday. Some friends of Tom's were staying with us and they were playing a show downtown, so we were getting ready to go to that. But then I decided it was too annoying to wait to go to the dr., and I was going to go to Urgent Care and then meet Tom at the show. So I am driving to Urgent Care and my right side starts hurting, not terribly but just like a little cramp. I check in and fill out paperwork and the nurse takes my vitals and then the dr. tells me that my urinalysis was fine. By this time my side is hurting more, like it hurts to breathe, and I tell the dr. that. He does some pressing and poking and then decides to do an x-ray, because my lower right side is where my appendix is located and he wants to make sure everything is ok. So I call Tom and tell him and he rushes to Urgent Care. By the time he gets there I can barely stand, I am going in and out of consciousness because the pain is so bad, and I start throwing up. Since the x-ray was fine, the dr. says it must be a kidney stone, although nothing showed up on the x-ray it could be too small to show up. Which is a good thing that it's small. So the nurse gives me two shots, one in each hip, one for pain and one for nausea. They are THE MOST PAINFUL shots I have ever gotten in my life. My left hip just stopped hurting yesterday. The dr. tells Tom that if I am not better in an hour, to take me to the ER. It took about 45 minutes for me to feel better, but by then I was passed out. Since then I have been taking antibiotics and hopefully the stone is gone, who knows. The medicines make me feel groggy and tired and out of it and nauseous and they make me burp. I will be glad to be done with them. I am still in disbelief about having a kidney stone, I kinda thought they only happened to older or unhealthy people, but apparently they can happen to anyone, even babies or children.

Shady had an up and down week too... there is no pattern or reason to her blood glucose numbers. In the morning, when she is usually at her highest, twice this week she has been really low. Sometimes it's like the insulin doesn't help at all, and sometimes it helps too much. And it's getting harder and harder to test her, because for some reason her lip just will not bleed anymore. I have to prick the inside of her lip to get blood, and I HATE doing it. But I know I have to, so I do it. I have a rule though that if I don't get it within 3 tries, I give up (for then, anyway). I just can not bring myself to keep doing it. And this #!$%* tester is so picky about the amt of blood it gets. Just now I was testing her and I FINALLY on the 3rd try got a small drop of blood and got it on the strip and then it gives me a *%$#! error message. So 3 tries and a wasted testing strip. It is frustrating.

Yesterday was Shady's birthday too. She is 11 years old. That's old for a Rottweiler, esp. one that has been through so much in her life. Hip dysplasia, arthritis, cancer, now diabetes. Every year on her birthday I take her to the beach, but we didn't go yesterday since I am not feeling so great. So we're going to go next weekend, which works out even better since Tom will be back by then.

So I guess I'm going to go watch the Super Bowl and finish cleaning up. The house is getting appraised tomorrow for this refinancing stuff, so I'm trying to make it presentable. It's a challenge! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

1 comment:

Jen E. said...

i am so sorry about your rough week. ugh! but, i am glad you are feeling better now. i'm sorry that shady's readings are all over the place , that is so very frustrating. i hope they start to make more sense soon and i hope the appraisal goes well. you are working so hard at everything, and you are doing a great job!